Continuing Education: Acceptable Topics
CE activities must align with one or more topics that are relevant to the training curriculum. In case of activities that cover multiple topics, only the portion that pertains to an acceptable topic(s) may be reported. For instance, three hours of CE may be derived from a six-hour, multi-topic activity.
ORGANIZE: Fiduciary Roles and Responsibilities Are Clearly Documented and Defined
- Demonstrate an awareness of fiduciary duties and responsibilities.
- Provide investments and investment services consistent with governing documents.
- Document the roles and responsibilities of all involved parties, whether fiduciaries or non-fiduciaries.
- Identify, then avoid or manage, material conflicts of interest in a manner consistent with the duty of loyalty.
- Execute written agreements that are consistent with fiduciary obligations.
- Prudently protect sensitive personal identifying information and assets of clients from theft, embezzlement, business disruption, and cybersecurity risks.
2. FORMALIZE: The Investment Policy is Consistent with Objectives for the Portfolio and Risk and Return Assumptions
- Identify an investment time horizon for each investment objective.
- Identify an appropriate risk level for the portfolio.
- Evaluate the distribution of projected portfolio returns in the context of the client’s risk and return objectives.
- Ensure that selected asset classes are consistent with the time horizon and risk and return objectives for the portfolio.
- Ensure that selected asset classes are consistent with implementation and monitoring constraints.
- Confirm that the investment policy statement contains sufficient detail to define, implement, and monitor the portfolio’s investment and distribution strategies.
- Apply environmental, social, and governance (ESG) factors to investment due diligence in conformity to law, regulations, governing documents, and the fiduciary obligations of investment decision-makers.
3. IMPLEMENT: Decisions Regarding Investments and Services are Implemented in Accordance with the Duties of Loyalty and Care
- Follow a prudent due diligence process to select each service provider and specific products and services.
- Implement statutory or regulatory investment safe harbors in compliance with the applicable provisions.
- Make and document decisions regarding investment strategies and types of investments in accordance with fiduciary obligations.
4. MONITOR: The Portfolio is Monitored Regularly to Ensure Consistency with Benchmarks and Overall Objectives
- Conduct periodic reviews of investment performance against appropriate market and peer group benchmarks, and overall objectives for the portfolio.
- Conduct periodic reviews of qualitative and/or organizational changes of investment managers and other service providers.
- Conduct periodic reviews of policies for trading practices and proxy voting.
- Conduct periodic reviews to ensure that investment-related fees, compensation, and expenses are fair and reasonable for the services provided.
- Conduct periodic reviews of the organization’s effectiveness in meeting its fiduciary responsibilities.
5. PRACTICE MANAGEMENT FOR FIDUCIARY ASSETS: Best Practices for Building and Managing a Successful Practice are Followed
- Promote, market and grow your business as a fiduciary adviser
- Effectively and efficiently serve clients
- Practice operations/financial management
Please note, all CE is subject to audit, and final approval from, the Fi360 Designee Team.